How to Paint Your Ceramic Bong
The Hexagon ceramic bong is a perfect material for those looking to add a personalized touch to their cannabis accessory.
The Hexagon bong is already glazed, so you will be applying paint on top.
- Enamel Paint. We like using FolkArt Enamel paint as it is dishwasher safe, a waterbase acrylic, and certified non-toxic.
- Paint brushes. Using a softer soft brush will make it easier. The Hexagon is already glazed, so you will be painting on a non-porous surface. You want to be able to have a light touch.
- Access to an oven. Though the FolkArt brand can be left to air dry, for better durability we recommend curing it in the oven.
How to paint your bong:Prep Bong:
- Clean surface of glazed ceramic using soap and water.
- Then, clean area to be painted with alcohol.
- Let surface completely dry for about 30 minutes before painting.
- Gently shake paint before applying.
- Do not thin paint with water, it will ruin the integrity of the paint.
- Mix colors on a palette before applying.
- Load the paintbrush with paint generously.
- If you are layering it helps to let the colors dry an hour before applying more.
- If you want a more transparent look mix paint with FolkArt Enamel Clear Medium, do not thin with water.
Once you are done painting, if you don't love the result, you can wash off the paint before it drys. If you allow the paint to sit, it will air dry. We don't recommend the air dry method as per the enamel paint instruction, the piece shouldn't be used for 21 days. No one has time for that.
Curing your paint: We recommend baking to finish your piece. If you want to go one step further you can. Once cured/baked you can add extra protection by applying Clear Medium on your bong.
How to bake/cure FolkArt Enamel paint: Let your piece dry for 1 hour to be sure all layers of paint have dried. Place piece in a cool oven. Set oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake project for 30 minutes. Ceramic must heat gradually with the oven to avoid breakage. Do not place your ceramic bong in a hot oven. After 30 minutes, turn the oven off. Let the bong cool completely in oven. Do not use for 72 hours.
After curing, projects can be hand washed or cleaned in the top rack of your dishwasher.
Things to consider:
- Though the paint is non-toxic we don't recommend painting inside the bong. FolkArt recommends not painting within ¾” of top rim.
- Painted items are not microwave safe.
- If hand washing, do not soak.
- If you are applying clear medium, only apply it on the painted areas rather than the whole bong. This will make it easier to apply and prevent streaks.